Tooleybuc Bridge was constructed in 1924 in response to the speedy expansion of the fruit-growing industry in the area. This bridge is a timber truss bridge with a vertical lift span and was the last of engineer Percy Allan’s bridge designs.
The Tooleybuc Bridge is the last in the series of timber truss bridge’s with lift span to be built over the Murray River and is one of only two surviving bridges over the Murray River that incorporate Allan truss spans.
A caretaker was appointed to Tooleybuc Bridge upon its opening to operate the lift span for river traffic and perform general maintenance and cleaning. The caretaker’s cottage was built next to the bridge in the 1930s as a residence for the caretaker and his family.