Our beautiful Lake Mulwala was man made and was constructed to service the needs of the residents and to secure irrigation for agriculture.
Clearing of the lake took place in 1937 with the community contributing by hand to clear the lake site to be flooded. A weir was developed by 1939 allowing the lake to maintain a year round water level. Due to the outbreak of World War II, the weir was not officially opened until October 29th 1989. Water was first diverted from the Murray for irrigation in the 1880’s. The lake became a way of life for families enjoying all types of water sports and created a tourist destination only 3 hours from Melbourne.