The Peppin Heritage Centre was Deniliquin’s first public school. The location was originally identified in 1857 with a brick schoolhouse being erected in 1861. A survey conducted at the time revealed that only 138 of the 613 children living in the area attended school.
The original schoolhouse was demolished and replaced by a larger building in 1879. Due to continued growth, it was extended in 1899 and 1905, and continued to operate until 1972 when it finally closed its doors.
Today, the building still includes a historical classroom, in addition to a museum, regular exhibitions and the Visitor Information Centre.
The Peppin Heritage Cente is open seven days a week, 9.00am to 4.00pm and entry is $3.00 per person.