Conargo was originally part of Benjamin Boyd’s vast pastoral empire, extending from the south, across the Billabong Creek, and taking in more land to the north. Officially gazetted as a town in 1860, Conargo quickly grew to become the passionate pastoral and grazing community it is to this day.
Just 25 minutes’ drive north east of Deniliquin, the Conargo village sits on the Billabong Creek which many claim is the longest creek in Australia. While the village is small, it services several large sheep stations and merino studs. The merino breed has its origins in the Riverina, and the Interpretive Centre in Conargo tells the story of this important animal’s influence on the fortunes of the region, and the entire nation.