Getting there and parking:
Murray River canoe trails start from Picnic Point in Murray Valley National Park, NSW, or from Barmah Lakes day visitor area or Barmah Punt in Victoria’s Barmah National Park.
To get to Picnic Point:
- From Mathoura, head west along Jones Street.
- Follow Jones Street as it becomes Picnic Point Road for approximately 10km to Picnic Point boat ramp.
To get to Barmah Lakes day visitor area, from Moama via Cobb Highway:
- Take the Barmah Road turn-off 14.5km north of Moama.
- Turn left at Moira Lakes Road in Barmah.
- From Barmah, travel north along Moira Lakes Road for 6.3km.
- Turn left into Barmah Lakes day visitor area.
To get to Barmah Punt:
- From Moama, head north along Cobb Highway.
- Turn right onto Barmah Road and continue for approximately 14km to Barmah township.
- Turn right onto Evans Street to get to Barmah Punt carpark.
Free parking available at all these locations.
Best times to visit:
September to April is the best time for paddling on the Murray River.
- Picnic Point: Barbecue, fish cleaning table, general store, toilets, carpark, boat ramp and pontoon.
- Barmah Lakes day visitor area: Picnic shelter, picnic tables, toilets, carparks, boat ramp and information shelter.
- Barmah Punt: General Store, toilet, carpark and boat ramp.
Wheelchair accessibility: Hard. Not wheelchair-accessible.
Permitted: Fishing. A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.